Friday, June 18, 2010

Two Days Later

...two days after Kate's accident. Let me just say that never have I been so emotional. Every time I close my eyes I hear it, I see it, and it feels like it just happened. I usually end up crying. I even cried in Target after I noticed people staring at Kate's head. I felt like such a failure as a mom. We purchased the bumpers to go on the hearth and I almost wanted to hide them in the cart so people didn't stare and judge more than they already were. I installed them today and I hope it keeps this from happening again.

As for Kate, she is doing okay. She frequently holds her head and says, "hurt." She still went to the orientation dinner with her daddy last night but was a lot more low key. She also still has the sinus infection so she is coughing a lot and feels crummy. She did, however, get to see Raider Red and the cheer/pom squads this week and has not stopped talking about it. She is also learning the names of Michael's co-workers. This week she said, "hi Trish," and then walked down the hall. Then without prompting she stuck her head in Josh's office and said, "hi Josh." She's so funny and acts like she's just part of the office.

So here's how the wound looks now:
































Kate and Daddy on the portico that her class uses at school.



















Several things have happened to evoke my maternal guilt. I questioned if it was something I did in pregnancy to cause her eye problem and did the same thing concerning her kidney/bladder problems. However, this one takes the cake. What do you, our readers, feel guilty about concerning your kids?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I feel guilty for raising a daughter that blames herself for things she evidently cannot do anything about. Maybe she takes after her granny (my mom). She was the queen of worrying and fretting about things she had no control over....Who is the therapist here???????

MOM

Anonymous said...

Yes I feel guilty for raising a daughter that blames herself for things she evidently cannot do anything about. Maybe she takes after her granny (my mom). She was the queen of worrying and fretting about things she had no control over....Who is the therapist here???????

MOM

Allison Moore said...

pretty much everything...I am right there with you babe!

Yarn Maniac said...

You are just fine....even if you didn't have a hearth, Kate would have surely found something else to run into, fall off of, etc....EVEN after warning her several times that she might get hurt....you dont worry or blame nearly as much with the second one and since our first was a boy, we treat our little girl a little tougher then some parents who have girls first...or so it seems. Don't get me wrong, she's VERY attached to her daddy but even he tells her "No, no, Kate" and she looks right at him and goes back to doing it again. I must say those are some of the fanciest hearth coverings I have ever seen...very cool! Don't fret, you're a great mom and like you said, Mike is a great dad....you all will laugh back when these pics come up at her wedding and Kate will laughingly remind you how it was HER fault for not listening to HER mommy....lol
Christie

Ashley said...

quit it! nothing you do or have done has been the cause of any of kates medical stuff. AND she is a toddler, i'm sure she will bump her noggin again. my mom dropped me when i was a baby, double skull fracture, and she still holds that guilt. (i'm okay!) dont' ever blame yourself. ever. you are doing an amazing job amanda!