
...our 3rd annual Grandma Debbie Day! We have developed a good sense of our ritual while leaving it open enough to add new pieces to it later. So, the rituals during the day at this point goes something like this:
1. Make signs for the race the night before (celebrating mom's love of crafts)
2. Go to the race as a family (not sure mom would have enjoyed anything about a race, but she certainly would have supported breast cancer research and awareness)
3. Buy Kate a new book to commemorate the day (mom loved reading and we spent a lot of time doing that together)
4. Do some sort of fun shopping (excludes grocery shopping and/or Wal-Mart) although buying is not required (mom loved shopping...much to all of our chagrin)
5. Have dinner out somewhere (nobody should have to cook dinner on Grandma Debbie Day)
Those are the things we do during Grandma Debbie Day to honor mom. We have a lot of fun during the day, and this year was no exception. I'm sure we will add things and change things through the years, but I know for sure we will always try to make it about fun and family.
This year one more family member came along to celebrate Grandma Debbie Day. For those of you that by some miracle don't know already, Amanda is PREGNANT!!! She is only 7 weeks along at this point and is due sometime toward the end of May. We are so excited for another addition to the family!
Us at the race.
Kate with her new "Big Sister" shirt on, and doing her favorite thing on earth--playing with an animal.
Our required "crossing the finish line" photo. We all cross it for Kate's Grandma Debbie, because she didn't get the opportunity to herself.

Kate has decided she likes to wear her swimsuit bottoms for hats. Whatevs.

She has decided that anytime she dances now, she has to put on one of her dress-up dancing skirts. Again, whatever.



While we didn't have to buy anything during shopping on Grandma Debbie Day, Kate got a "bike," although technically it's a scooter. How big does she look???!!!!

2 comments:
How beautiful - your mom would be so proud. I only wish we could have shared our joy together with grandkids.....She was a special lady and raised a GREAT son...whom I am so honored to call my son-in-law.
Sheila
Once again, guys, I think this is the greatest tradition! It's great for Kate, for your mom's memory, and for you guys, too. I'm SO glad you posted about it!
And CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I must be one of the few that hadn't read the news yet! :) YAY!! That's SO exciting! Keep the updates coming!!!
Post a Comment