...Kate's first day of school. Kate ended up starting school on Thursday rather than Tuesday due to a fever. I was secretly fine with that so that I could hold on one more day. But alas, Thursday morning arrived and I knew it would be good for both of us for her to go to school. When we walked in we both washed our hands (that's the rule!) and then we joined several of her little friends who were already playing. She was tentative at first, her little hand gripped tight to my finger. Eventually though, she let go and set out on her own to explore her new room. I said goodbye, through lots of tears, and she smiled as I walked away. I knew she was going to have a great day and that it would be much harder for me.
Michael and I went back later in the day to pick her up together. We were able to sit behind the one-way mirror and watch as the diaper-clad gang played. They were all in diapers since they had just had water play time on the portico. Eventually we went in to get her. She smiled when she saw us and wanted me to pick her up. After a quick hug she was ready to go back to her snack (well, she was picking the raisins out of everyone else's snack). The teachers said she was a very "secure" little girl. I was proud and sad all at the same time. I'm glad she is secure but it also means she is needing me less and less. I guess now I learn to sit back and watch her soar.
Here is the note the teachers sent home:
"What a great first day! She especially enjoyed being on the playground and then playing and dancing in the hall with Donna and me [Tracey] in the hallway. What a joy she is."
We are so blessed to have Miss Tracey and and Miss Donna as her teachers. And yes, she was playing in the hall because she was not napping. She caught up on that as soon as we put her in her stroller. I'm sure we will have plenty of fun stories to tell you. Did I mention that her teachers sent us e-mails throughout the day to let us know how her first day was going? Truly amazing.
1 comment:
Thats so awesome that you have somewhere like that for her to go! She is so cute, and getting so big!!!
Post a Comment