Sunday, October 5, 2008

1st Annual Grandma Debbie Day

...Amanda and I wanting to start a family tradition to honor my mom and help Kate learn about her and feel like she was present in her life. We decided to institute an annual Grandma Debbie Day, which takes place in conjunction with the Komen Foundation's Race for the Cure. Since my mom ran out of time in her fight against breast cancer 15 years ago, we thought it would be most fitting that we, as a family, run/walk in this race every year. Amanda made signs for Kate's stroller and our backs to let everyone know for whom we were racing. It is strange for me to think that I have now spent more time alive without my mom than with her, but she was such a formative force in my life that not a day goes by still when I don't think of her. I know she would have loved having a granddaughter. So, even though mom can't be here to take part in Kate's life, we are going to make every effort to make mom's memory an active presence in it. While Kate obviously doesn't understand any of this yet we have pictures to commemorate our 1st Annual Grandma Debbie Day.





Look! Over 7,000 people showed up for 1st Annual Grandma Debbie Day...crazy!

4 comments:

katie said...

You have me in tears. That's the neatest tradition you guys have started! What an awesome idea and a great way to commemorate Kate's grandmother's life.

Anonymous said...

It takes a real man to wear pink! This is the greatest tradition. Your Mom must be smiling in heaven.

Anonymous said...

I love this tradition!I am so copying it next year.
Izabellas Mimi lost her battle 12 years ago and I would love to honor her this way.Thanks so much for your great idea. Maybe we can walk together. Lisa

KPB said...

I'm sure Debbie is so proud of you three