...Michael and the kids' first experience with "The Decoration." For years I've pestered Michael about when we are going to decorate loved one's headstones and he always looks at me like I'm strange to be so focused on it. Well, this past weekend he saw why. Every Memorial Day of my childhood was spent at a cemetery with family. Sure we bring flowers, but we also bring lawn chairs, and back in the day we even brought a big lunch. He couldn't believe how many people were there. I was so happy to be there to see my family, especially since they have never met my kids. I will say that it was as hot as I remember and not a fun place for kids. However, it was so great to be back in a place with so many great memories and cousins!!!!
Kate taking in the decoration at Dongola
Jude was named after my mom's grandpa, William Wiley Elliott
This is my mom and her cousin Cheryl. Another thing Michael learned is that our family genes are strong. We all look alike.
My Dad was sitting on my Grandpa Lester's headstone. Like Michael, he was really close to my mom's parents. He loved them so much.

That's more like it Dad
Michael and Jude at Canaan
Kathy, another cousin, taking a moment to reflect.
After the decoration we met for lunch. The waitress thought my dad was kidding when he walked in alone and asked for a table for 18. He wasn't and he didn't mention how loud those 18 people would be. We were not able to be around 1 table and were spread out. I hope the other diners didn't mind us walking around and talking as loud as we did. I think Kate was in her element and fell in love with her sweet cousin Hannah. I'm just giddy that we live close enough now for them to grow up together. I also think Jude and Dutch will grow up to be buddies even though they don't know it yet.
Kate and Hannah. What a cutie!
Me and Christie. Related much?
This is my cousin Sarah. She was happy when Hannah was born because she was the only one with strawberry blonde hair.
Me, Angela, Christie, and Sarah
This is Dutch, Jude's new buddy

I'm so thankful to be back so we can take weekend trips to be with my cousins!
No comments:
Post a Comment