Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Giving Tree


...Amanda taking some photos of Kate while in Oklahoma that she kept secret from me until she could print them. I didn't understand the significance of the tree in the photo above until I saw the rest of the photos. This wasn't just any tree. It is the beautiful Magnolia tree thriving in the middle of the front lawn of our old church back in Choctaw. But, it's more than that too. This tree is a living reminder of the beauty of one woman's life that ended too soon. My mom had two favorite types of tree--the Oklahoma Redbud and the Magnolia tree. I wish I could find out why she loved the Magnolia so much. Was it because of the big white flowers? Was it because it defines a region of the country she always loved? Who knows, but I'm certain she had her reasons. The Magnolia has now become a reminder of her. A tree that at once combines beauty, delicacy, grace, and strength with its overtones of iced tea drinking proper southern society. The perfect tree to plant in memory of a lady who many of us will never forget.

It's hard to believe this tree is now 16 years old. The church planted a small Magnolia tree in 1993 with a plaque dedicating it to the memory of my mom. As a 14-year old boy I was just starting to figure out who my mom was outside of just being my mom. I was probably just starting to get interesting myself. I'm still learning how much we had in common, and I wish we could have the time to become the friends I know we would be. I've now lived more of my life without my mom than with her, which is hard to believe. Having a child of my own now I think about her more often. She would have loved to be a grandma. Amanda and I talk about her a lot and will continue to do things with Kate to make sure she knows who her grandma was. I welcome any stories any of you have out there about my mom, especially to share one day with Kate.

This once tiny, freshly planted memorial tree has survived ice storms, hail storms, wind storms, and even the May 3rd tornado. Now it's big enough to provide shade for a granddaughter playing on the grass underneath the strong, graceful branches on a hot summer day.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike this is a wonderful tribute to your beautiful mother. I only knew her a little but she was a very pretty lady and always willing to help anyone who needed her. Hopefully Kate will have many of Debbie's good qualities. Sheila

Donna said...

I have to agree with Sheila. This is a wonderful tribute to your mother. I also have to add a rather large comment of my own. As you know, I went to school with Debbie and I can say you didn't have to know her very well to love her. She was an easy person to love. She had a willing smile, that's what I remember most. She always had a smile on her face and it was full of love. I see that same willing and eager smile in Kate. Debbie also had a HUGE heart with such a great capacity to love. She was a stranger to no one. (Kate seems to share this trait as well.) That tree is a strong reminder of all the people in her church family who love her and miss her so much. I can tell you this. I see Debbie every day in so many ways that are too numerous to mention. I see her when I see the kind of man your Dad is. I know that he and Debbie were the ideal parents everytime I see you and all the things you have accomplished in your life to date. I see her when I see the kind and loving way your Dad treats each and every person he comes into contact with every day. I see her in the way he treats me as his wife. He was the perfect match for your mother and they raised such a special son. I also see Debbie in the love her family has to share. They have welcomed me into their lives and accepted me as a member of their family. I can honestly say I have never met such a loving and caring family in my entire life. I see Debbie's love every time I'm around any of them and consider it a great honor to be a part of such a special family. I also see your mothers love when I spend time with JR and Joan. They were two of her dearest friends and have also become two of mine. They have welcomed me into their lives and have shown so much love toward me that it's hard to comprehend. As a mother, I know that Debbie is so proud of you. When you got married I just knew she would be there and she was. When I saw one lone white bird fly over right when you and Amanda were exchanging your vows I knew she was there. When Ron and I were driving to the hospital to welcome Kate into this world I knew Debbie would be there too. Maybe it was just a coincidence that I found a shiney new penny on the way from the waiting room to the nursery to see Kate for the first time. I don't think so, though. I know that Debbie was there. As a mother I know that she was there. Nothing could keep a mother away from those two special events. I know that in my heart. She is very, very proud of the man you have become and I know she's been there every step of the way. I try to keep a very low profile because I would never want anyone to think I'm trying to take her place. I know I couldn't, but more importantly, I want you to know I would never, ever try. I feel so very blessed to be a part of your life and to be married to your dad. He's such a wonderful person and you are such a wonderful man. Words cannot describe how special Kate is to both Ron and I. God has truly blessed us more that words can say. Mema Donna

Tiffany said...

This just brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing.

Ashley said...

this is so strange that i read this today. yesterday at my moms we were going through her yearbook and came across a picture of your mom. so pretty, i said, before she could tell me she was your mom. mom said she was just absolutely lovely.