...Kate's first...of many...musicals. For my mom's birthday Kate and I bought her tickets to see Kathy Rigby in Peter Pan. Of course, it seems the real gift to mom was watching Kate watch her first musical. At first it seemed odd that a 60 year old would play a young boy, but Kathy Rigby was pretty amazing. It's been a couple of weeks now and Kate is still crow-ing around the house singing the songs from the musical.
Prior to the show we got the customary baubles for her and a sword for Jude (since he didn't get to come). I passed on the poster for Kate that allowed for a spot in line to meet Peter Pan after the show. I confidently assured my mom that Kate would be asleep by intermission and I would most likely be carrying her out after the show since the show didn't even start until her bed time. Those of you who know Kate know that she is very serious about her bedtime. We went to our seat, the whole way people were commenting on her sense of style (see photos). I was becoming more confident that she would be asleep by intermission as we waited for the show to start. She was a bit restless and tired.
Then the orchestra started to warm up. She perked up in her chair. They were not even playing songs yet. I started to think I might be wrong. Then the overture started...she might just make it to intermission. Then Wendy, Michael, John, and Nana were on stage and I knew she would make it to intermission, but the verdict was out on making through the whole show.
Then it happened. Tinker Bell and Peter Pan made their first appearance and it was all over. She was buzzing the rest of the evening. I thought she might levitate too when Kathy Rigby began to sing, "I Can Fly!" She even loved Captain Hook. Would you believe we had to rush downstairs after it was over to buy the poster so she could meet Peter Pan? She also wanted to meet Captain Hook. Would you believe we were some of the last people to leave the Tulsa PAC at 11:30 pm? Would you believe she is sitting next to me right now with her Peter Pan book making sure I talk about all the characters? Do you think that was her last musical? Do you think she likes musicals? Do you think we are on the right track with all the dance lessons? I think so.
Kate was fairly certain the pixie dust Ms. Rigby gave her was the real thing since she just saw her flying all evening. My mom was a little concerned about Kate climbing on things and jumping off.
Kate was so funny. This is her pirate face. You can't really tell in this picture but she was being so funny with him. He was actually pretty tall, probably about as tall or taller than my brother. She didn't care. She is making her pirate face. Captain Hook was a little jealous of her boots.
It was 11:30 when this picture was taken. I thought she would fall asleep the second we got in the car. Wrong again. She didn't fall asleep until about 5 minutes from the house (we live about 35 minutes from the PAC). I think there will be more musicals.




No comments:
Post a Comment