Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Farewell Texas Tech



...a job application just a few weeks ago to the University of Tulsa. Normally university jobs take a very long time to hear back from, often stretching into several months. Not this one. I, Michael, applied, heard from, interviewed with, and received an offer of employment all within a span of two weeks. We've barely had time to wrap our heads around the idea that we are actually moving to Tulsa and will be only an hour-and-a-half from family! We will officially say our farewell to Texas Tech on November 27th, and I will start my new job on November 28th.

When we moved to Lubbock it was just me and Amanda (well, and Sophie--our dog). I didn't have any gray hairs in my beard and Amanda was yet to be Dr. Harrington. Planning to stay in Lubbock for just 3-4 years, we will be leaving Lubbock a little more than 6 years later with 2 children and an extra dog. We have been wanting to move closer to home for a while now (since having kids), but really focused on finding a job in Oklahoma since this summer. Countless job applications, phone interviews, and rejection letters later--the "right one" finally came along. We are so grateful to be moving to Tulsa. Tulsa is the place we have always wanted to live, but never figured we would because the university job market is pretty small. Even writing it now seems surreal--it probably won't sink in until we leave Lubbock for the last time.

Even though we've been trying to figure out how to leave Lubbock for a while now, we are really going to miss it. Someway, somehow we became Red Raiders. Lubbock eventually found its way into our hearts, just like the piles of dirt that somehow find a way into our house. This windswept, isolated, West Texas town was the last place I ever thought we would start a family. Yet, we've made so many memories here. So many good friends (most of which have already left us--you know who you are). So many good co-workers. It's such an easy place to live, and I know I will miss my 10 minute commute regardless of where I'm going. We will be very sad to leave a few people behind, and wish we could somehow figure out a way to move the Hill's with us. C'mon guys, Tulsa needs a Blue Sky or two!

I was talking to Stephanie Rhode, one of my co-workers, today about moving. She was saying how sad it is to know that Kate (and definitely Jude) probably won't remember much of Lubbock or the people that were here. She has such a good memory it hasn't even dawned on me that she really won't have many memories of this place--I don't have many memories from under 3. Stephanie was right, that's very sad.



The Saddle Tramps performing the bell circle during the Homecoming parade. That's Will Rogers (an Okie permanently ensrhined here in Lubbock) wrapped in red crepe paper. His horse's (Soapsuds) rear end points directly to Texas A&M some 9 hours away.



The Masked Rider riding Midnight Matador (Kate knows the horse as Amos--his real name, that not too many people know).



The real Raider Red above, and our live-in infant-sized version below.




We get our Guns Up in the Harrington family! We will be Tulsa fans, but we will still support the Red Raiders.




Kate watching the Goin' Band from Raiderland perform with her classmates. We are going to really miss her and Jude's school.



Jude and Daddy above and the whole family below listening to the band. "Long live the Matadors!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww such a great post. Lubbock, Texas Tech and us hills will miss you guys! I will never forget when you guys gave into the red and black. We all knew it would happen:) Tulsa doesn't know how blessed they truly are! Kristi